Friday, 30 October 2015

BBQ pulled pork, phoar

BBQ pulled pork stuffed jacket potato


This meal is loved by everyone in my family and I think most people's mouth drool when they hear the words 'pulled pork' or see it on the menu. Despite this and how easy it is to make, we don't have it very often. I have to keep persuading my mum that we have had spag bol already 4 times this month when she says "what about spag bol for dinner?" 

Bonus to pulled pork is that you can put it in the slow cooker, go to work or do uni work like I did today and it's done when your finished. Ta da!

My favourite way to have pulled pork is in a barn cake with stuffing and apple sauce. However I didn't have any of this stuff to hand and wanted to be a little bit healthier.  If you are like me, you will just throw whatever in and hope no one notices that it's missing a few things.

Ingredients
  • 1.5-2kg pork shoulder (all visible fat removed)
  • 5 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 500g passata
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 3 tbsp sweetener
  • Salt and Pepper


BBQ sauce before cooking - see it looks fine!


I only had a little bit of Worcestershire sauce left and a little bit of garlic. Everyone raved about it later so we just won't tell them!

Method

1. Mix all your ingredients together except your pork!! I just mix them straight in the pan and simmer for 15 minutes and the sauce will thicken.


2. Whilst this is happening, get rid of the fat of that pork shoulder. This takes some elbow grease.
Goodbye crackling....fond memories. See you at Easter!!




Awful job on removing the fat in this picture 

3. I place it straight in the slow cooker as I'm obviously busy duh and coat with sauce. Cook for between 8-12 hours. 













4. The final hour and half!! Get your veg prepped and get those spuds in the oven. 

5. Final half an hour: Start cooking your veg for whatever time they need cooking

6. Slow cookers don't beep normally... However remove your pork. This could take a few trips as it will be a bit slippery and the sauce will have watered down.

I worked at carvery at Tatton flower show last year and was shown how to shred pork by a chef and it is one of my favourite things to do to meat.... that sounds odd. Well I just love how skilled I feel and ninja-like with the knives. 

7. Dish up your veg and spuds with your pork and dig in!
My sauce was a bit watery when it cooked, so if you know how to make it thicker let me know.


Notes:
I used my parents slow cooker which they have used forever!! We mostly use it as a rice cooker. I could not tell you if any other slow cookers are good or not as we have had this sturdy cooker for what seems a life time.

Here's the original recipe:

Enjoy 

Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment