Monday, 26 October 2015

Paella that took 3 hours to make?!

Paella, all hail the person who invented paella as it is the most beautiful rice/Spanish dish that I know. Who actually invented Paella.. will need to investigate!

Now if I was not home alone and it wasn't mid day, I would be drinking sangria too as it is beaut. Why is it that when you make a foreign dish that goes perfectly with alcohol, you are either alone or driving later? No drinking and driving, bad!


Bizarre!

So side note: this paella did not take 3 hours to make. It did, however from me making a list of ingredients and digesting it take 3 hours....


Back on track, I love paella as it has meat, a little bit of fish and lots of veg. It is really warm and filling and I say is it stodge food. Something to eat when you have had a rubbish day at work or school and just want to pig out. The colour is just schamazing - very autumn colours even though it's a summer dish, the texture of been like a risotto and sticking together makes me all fuzzy inside and the different flavours nom nom.



Time: 12:12
I have decided I am going to make paella, a tried and tested recipe so won't take too long... or so I thought. Takes a while to find the right recipe. 
Make a little shopping list on my sticky note (I end up leaving these on the bottom of my bag, I don't know if anyone else does this? But my bag is just filled with little shopping lists) and decide that food shops aren't that far away, it will be fine

Time: 13:00
By the time I'm ready and have arrived at Aldi, entered my car registration number which is so annoying but the parking is free so I can't complain too much.... Decide to do a few errands in Leek whilst I'm there (or as my mum calls it, have a "mooch", vile word!) and end up buying candles, bath bombs, make-up brushes and some new posters for my room...

Snowflake cookie candle - smells amazing but doesn't come through when I burn it...

Time: 14:00
So I'm home, I had to go Sainburys to get petrol and prepare my veg but ONION GATE happened. Me crying at onion comes and goes but today I had a good old sob at them so it delayed the paella big time. Also men cry at onions too, it's not just a girl thing!

Time 15:00
Paella is done! Enough to feed about 5-6 people but I eat and watch an episode of Sister wives.

If you are not watching Sister Wives then you do not know about the man who is Kody Brown, but if you don't like the Kardashians you will hate Sister Wives. All I will say is, polygamy!


Paella:
Ingredients

  • 2 onions (chopped)
  • 2 garlic cloves (diced)
  • 50g Chorizo
  • 1 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 400g Paella rice
  • 1.5 litres of chicken stock (2 x chicken stock cubes and boiling water)
  • 200g green beans (chopped into thirds)
  • 200g frozen peas
  • 400g cooked prawns
  • 1 x lemon juice (Save the lemon rind for the topping)
  • 1 tbsp parsley

Method
  1. Prepare your onion, garlic and chorizo. Add to a large wok type pan that has been sprayed with some frylight or oil if that's your thing and cook on a low heat until your onions look soft and yummy
  2. Add your Turmeric and Paprika so that colour of paella starts to come through
  3. Whilst all this is going on, if you can fill your kettle with water and boil the water. Prepare your chicken stock in a jug and measure out 1.5 litre - for me this takes refilling my jug and I'm rubbish at multitasking!
  4. Add the paella rice into your pan and just stir it all together, get it with those spices
  5. Pour in your stock and bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Don't cover it, just let all the smells flow out. Occasionally stir it
  6. After 15 minutes, add green beans and cook for another 5 minutes
  7. Next add lemon juice, prawns, frozen peas and parsley and mix together.
  8. Serve with sprinkles lemon rind on top and some extra parsley.



If you use this recipe or adapt it in anyway, please send me your pictures/tips as I love seeing different people's interpretation of a dish

Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment