Tuesday, 19 July 2016

Trip to Corfu

Hey guys,

It's been 2 weeks since I came back from Corfu and with the weather been mostly rain for the past few weeks, I'm feeling holidays blues big time! It's back to the grind of work and having to wear a coat in July. I went to Corfu, one of the Greek Islands knowing a little about the food they served there and that was partly the reason I chose to go there. I had dreams of hummus, feta and lamb in the sunshine.



I went with my parents, my brother Sean and his girlfriend Sarah and my boyfriend Matt. We stayed in this secluded villa in the mountains near Nissaki. Our balcony overlooked the sea and you could see boats and Albania, it was beautiful to walk out to in the morning. I much prefer renting a villa with family or friends and having the privacy and ability to chose what we wanted to eat, especially with so many people comes so many different food preferences.



One day, we explored the centre of Corfu including the old town and the new town. I won't spoil it for you if you ever choose to visit, but you need to visit the forts as they are so fascinating and different to the history we have in the UK. Although free to explore, I would have rather have payed a euro so they could display some facts about the forts. The towns are what you imagine Greece to look like, especially if you divert away from the busy main streets and explore the back lanes. Me and Matt explored on our own and came across an amazing herb shop that we would probably find difficult to locate again. The lady who ran it spoke English and Greek, as do most of the people who live there and told us she made all the herbs herself. She gave me the most amazing recipe for tzatziki that was a hit with the family. We also went for crepes and smoothies at the Earth Cafe, they are really friendly so go visit them and they have an open kitchen to watch them prepare your food.






My parents have recently been learning to sail back home and were keen to rent a boat in Corfu. We had the boat for the whole day and whilst the guys took it in turn at the wheel, the rest of us sunbathed and relaxed. We got to go swimming at different beaches and jump off the boat. Although I won't be sailing any time soon, it's the best way to see the Island.


It was also my mum's birthday whilst we were out there. My dad booked a restaurant called the Agni Taverna. We arrived by speed boat which my mum loved/hated as she thought it was going too fast but she felt very special and spoilt. The food there was so good and everyone's looked amazing, I can recommend the scallops and risotto.







My whole holiday was so good and I can only tell you about you a few dishes that I tried that I want to recreate: baked feta cheese, stifado, saganaki, stuffed peppers... My last day, however was one of the most exciting. I love trying new things, so Matt and I went to the local beach to try watersports. Matt was a natural at waterskiing and everyone was impressed at how quickly he picked it up, I was only a little bit jealous. I was next to try wakeboarding and was a little bit nervous, especially when they attached my feet to the board and I couldn't even lift it. It didn't help when the instructor asked me why I chose the most difficult sport for my first time (before I'm an idiot??!)
However I awarded myself the most improved award at the end because I finally did at least a minute of wakeboarding by the end and have never felt so proud.




A lovely taverna we stumbled across coming down from visiting the Monastery. They served amazing Greek pizza, everyone had food envy

Drinking cocktails with mum and Sarah, are we drunk or is the quality of the camera that bad?



We all had a great holiday and I would love to go to Athens one day. Hope you enjoyed my little holiday review.

love Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment